The Society was founded in 1868 and is the premier society in Great Britain which promotes and defends the scholarly study of the past. The Society has a varied programme of lectures and one-day and two-day conferences covering a wide range of historical issues. They provide excellent opportunities for formal and informal discussion among historians.
- Grants for students to attend conferences or training courses.
- Grants to conference organizers to subsidize postgraduate attendance.
- Grants for students to meet the costs of visits to archives.
- Supplementary bursaries to selected holders of Overseas Research Student Awards.
- Annual Centenary Fellowship for an outstanding young scholar.